Supporting Children with Communication Needs
- I CAN is a children’s communication charity. For more information click here
Supporting Children With Autism
- The Greater Manchester Autism consortium (A partnership between the 10 boroughs of greater manchester and the National Autisic Society). For more information click here
- The ASGMA (Autistic Society Greater Manchester Area) based in Stretford. For more information click here
- A website called Leisure for autism (specialises in holidays for autistic children). For more information click here
Supporting Children with ADHD
- National Autistic Society description of ADHD. For more information click here
- A charity called ADDISS – The National Attention Deficit Disorder Information and Support Service. For more information click here
- Manchester based ADHD support group. For more information click here
Supporting Children with Dyslexia
- The National Dyslexia Association. For more information click here
- Dyslexia Action. To see what their website offers click here
- For information about a dyslexic friendly font, click here.
Supporting Children with Dyspraxia
- Dyspraxia Foundation. For more information click here
- Local Support Group based in Stockport. For more information click here
The Local Offer Has Been Upgraded!
The Local Offer is the name for all the activities, services, advice and support across Manchester for children and young people with SEND. The Local Offer website is www.manchester.gov.uk/sendlocaloffer.
We've just upgraded the site! This means finding stuff will be much easier! Parents in particular, asked for services to be sorted into age categories so we've done that too
www.manchester.gov.uk/sendlocaloffer Check it out! And get the word out!
SEND LOCAL OFFER DROP IN'S
Want to speak to services face to face? You can! We bring the Local Offer to life very month at our SEND Local Offer Drop Ins! There's loads of services represented... Early Help, Short Breaks, IASM, Parent's Forum, Parent Champions, Rodney House Outreach, LSS, Twinkle Boost and more! Call in for a friendly chat and a brew...anytime from 10am - 12noon on:
- 20th March - Rodney House, M12 4WF
- 30th April - Manchester Youth Zone, M9 8AE
- 22 May - Woodhouse Park Lifestyle Ctr, M22 1QW 26 June - Rodney House School, M12 4WF
- 10 July - Manchester Youth Zone, M9 8AE
Advice and Support Manchester (IASM).
Parents / carers and young people who want individual, impartial advice on any issues relating to SEND, can contact Information, Advice and Support Manchester (IASM).
They have a 24 hour Confidential Helpline 0161 209 8356 You can email: email@example.com
If you'd prefer to speak to them face to face, IASM attend the SEND Local Offer Drop Ins every month.
Parent Champions Manchester
Parent Champions are parents of children and young people with SEND. They have had a half day training session to give them a good understanding of Manchester's SEND Local Offer. They are then able to help other parents get the information and support they need.
Parent Champions attend the Local Offer Drops Ins and many Parent Champions are speakers of community languages. They can help with things such as finding local activities for children, giving your views at meetings, explaining where you can get help with filling in forms. Parent champions do loads of other interesting stuff...as well lots of training oportunities, public speaking, community reporting etc... They've been working with Central Library, The People's History Museum, Band on the Wall, East Lancashire Community Railway, Department for Work and Pensions and loads more! Interested? Or want to find more?
Give us a call! 0161 209 8356
Manchester Parent Carer Forum
Manchester Parent Carer Forum are a volunteer parent group. They work to represent the voice of parents and carers of children and young people with SEND. They invite all Manchester parents/carers to join the Forum. Sign up now and see lots of other interesting stuff on their website: http:// manchesterparentcarerforum.org.uk
Manchester Parent Carer Forum do an online survey and tell the local authority and health what families think is working well with education, health and care services and what needs to be improved.
Many parents and carers are saying that education, health and care services are improving and that they feel their views are being listened to. Some parents say that services for their child are not yet as good as they would like them to be.
Please help us to improve the lives of SEND families by asking families to complete the parent / carer survey before 22nd March.
The Disabled Children and Participation Registers
Manchester City Council runs a Disabled Children and Participation Register for parents and carers of children with SEND. Everyone who joins
Participation and the Disabled Children Register, will be sent a discount card to use on meals and shopping as well as getting emails with useful information about events and activities for children with SEND. To join go to the Local Offer front page and click on the, 'Disabled Children and Participation Register' button. Dead easy!