Exclusion Support

Government guidance has changed during the Corona Virus Pandemic. 

Please find deatils on the following link https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/school-exclusion/changes-to-the-school-exclusion-process-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak 

Manchester schools, Pupil Referral Units (PRUs) and the council work in close partnership to offer pupils and families early help to reduce the need for exclusion. Exclusions have been reducing year on year but there will still be circumstances where a head teacher considers an exclusion to be appropriate.

Schools have a legal duty under the Equality Act 2010/ DDA not to discriminate against disabled pupils by excluding them from school because of behaviour which is related to their disability. Schools must make reasonable adjustments to policies and practices so that a disabled pupil can participate in education at school and are not disadvantaged because of their disability.

Fixed period exclusions

A head teacher can exclude a pupil for a short period of time if they have seriously broken school rules and if allowing the pupil to stay in school would seriously harm their education or welfare, or the education or welfare of other pupils. After a fixed period exclusion pupils will return to their school.

Permanent exclusions

Head teachers only permanently exclude a pupil as a last resort after considering the individual circumstances with other staff and professionals as appropriate. If the pupil is a Looked After Child (LAC) or has a statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) there should be a review of the pupil’s education plan as part of this process. There may be exceptional circumstances where a head teacher may decide to permanently exclude for a serious ‘one-off’ offence.

If a pupil has been permanently excluded they do not return to their school and will receive their education from a Manchester Pupil Referral Unit (PRU). The PRUs provide access to a balanced curriculum, small group teaching, specialist assessment and reintegration support to ensure that, wherever possible, pupils return quickly to mainstream schools. For some pupils the PRU will continue to provide education for a longer period of time. Pupils attending PRUs will be able to sit national tests such as SATs, GCSEs and other qualifications

Appealing a decision to Exclude

Parents may appeal against a school’s decision to exclude. Information on how to appeal will be included in the exclusion letter sent out to parents. Further information on how to appeal may be available from the organisations listed below.

Exclusion Advice and Guidance

In Manchester an education caseworker will contact all parents or carers of a permanently excluded pupil to offer support and advice during the exclusion process. Visit the sites below for more information and support.

The Department for Education (DfE) - provide guidance “Exclusions from maintained schools, academies and pupil referral units in England: September 2012”  

Advice for Parents of Pupils with Special Educational Needs (SEN) - Parents of pupils with SEN who are excluded from school may need advice on the options available for their child's future education. The Parent Partnership Service  provides support, advice and information to these families. Parent Confidential Helpline: 0161 209 8356 (Monday to Friday, 10am - 3pm) 

The Children's Legal Centre - provides free legal advice and information to parents on state education matters. Tel 0808 802 0008 (Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm , except Bank Holidays, 24 December - 1 January)

Contact details for Exclusions

Integrated Admissions Exclusions Team

We can provide help on matters related to exclusions from schools. 


Integrated Admissions
Exclusions Team
Directorate for Children & Commissioning
PO Box 532
Town Hall Extension
M60 2LA

Email: exclusions@manchester.gov.uk
Fax:  0161 237 3407
Tel :  0161 245 7166

The IPSEA website has some useful articles to support families when their child is excluded. https://www.ipsea.org.uk/pages/category/exclusion-from-school

Exclusion from school

What steps does the school have to take?

No child should be excluded for an indefinite period, or for a non-disciplinary reason, or without formal notice in writing from the head

What should I do if my child is excluded?

If your child has been excluded, you should consider what actions you can take to try to get their needs met more effectively and avoid further exclusions in the future

Disability discrimination and exclusions

If a school unfairly excludes a child with a disability, this may amount to disability discrimination

Advice on writing ‘written representations’ to the Governors

Examples and guidance on writing 'written representations' to the Governors

Informal exclusions

Any exclusion of a pupil, even for short periods of time, must be formally recorded

Exclusion of children/young people with SEND from an independent setting or Further Education

These types of education providers will have their own behaviour and exclusion policies

Files to Download

Student Login