Nurture School Award
What this means for your child:
- We meet with children to support and challenge unhelpful and negative beliefs about themselves and build resilience.
- The development of social and emotional skills is at the heart of our curriculum.
- We use positive reinforcement and nurturing opportunities to recognize and manage their emotions.
- We act on the pupil voice through questionnaires, class assemblies, circle time and school council meetings.
- Transitions are carefully planned.
- Children feel safe at Bridgelea and are supported to develop their emotional literacy
- We understand the children lean and develop at different ages and stages and this is reflected in our curriculum and approaches.
Some of the things happening at Bridgelea:
- Silver Rights Respecting School; we empower children to know and realise their rights and the rights of others
- Using Emotion Coaching to help children make sense of their big emotions
- Reinforcement of all positive behaviours
- PHSE curriculum that focuses on qualities that underpin emotional wellbeing
- Using the Emotional Scale to support children to understand emotional vocabulary
- Use Elklan strategies to ensure we are continually communication friendly for all our children and families
Ways you can work with us to support your child:
- Attend your child’s review and share your ideas
- Ensure that we have up to date contact information so we can communicate with you about your child
- Join us for school events such as the talent show and assemblies as our children tell us that they feel proud and happy when their parents are in school.
- Encourage your child to tell you about their learning and what they enjoy at school
- Talk with your child about their feelings
We Nurture Parents:
- We make visitors feel safe in our school.
- We work with parents/ carers and other agencies to support the family around the child.
- We will keep you updated regularly around your child’s progress and development in school.
We Nurture Staff:
- We have a developing wellbeing offer including a wellbeing team, a supervision offer and access to the schools advisory service.
- Staff are able to access relevant and current training and professional development linked to nurture.
- Staff feel respected, valued and supported.
We Nurture Other Manchester School:
- We are currently working with other 21 Manchester schools & Nurture UK to develop nurturing practice in Manchester. (Sep 2020)