BIRCH (2KG) 2020 - 2021
Welcome to Birch class!
On this page, you will find information about our current Curriculum Vehicle and learning that we are doing this half term.
This half term our Curriculum Vehicle is:
English – we will be writing to persuade, including writing posters about not littering in our parks and leaflets persuading people to visit Manchester.
Science – Electricity. We will learn to:
- identify common appliances that run on electricity
- construct a simple series electrical circuit, identifying and naming its basic parts, including cells, wires, bulbs, switches and buzzers
- identify whether or not a lamp will light in a simple series circuit, based on whether or not the lamp is part of a complete loop with a battery
- recognise that a switch opens and closes a circuit and associate this with whether or not a lamp lights in a simple series circuit
- recognise some common conductors and insulators, and associate metals with being good conductors
Design & Technology – Electrical Systems: Static Electricity.
We will explore static electricity and observe the effects of it on different objects before designing and making a simple game which uses static electricity.
In Art, we will work with our school artist, Jo. We will be creating art work inspired by the Manchester skyline and the artistic style of Sue Scott.
In Computing, we will be learning about coding and programming using Purple Mash.
In History, we will learn about the Romans. We will learn about how Britain changed from the iron age to the end of the Roman occupation and how this helped to advance British society. We will learn about Boudicca and famous Roman Emperors.
In Maths, we will focus on number and place value, and addition and subtraction.
On our RE drop down day, we will learn about what it means to be a Christian and what it means to be a Hindu in Britain today.
In RSHE, we will learn about Celebrating Differences. We will focus on the following questions:
- What is diversity? (Inc LGBTQ)
- Do boys and girls have different roles? (sports/jobs/toys?)
- What is discrimination? (Bullying)
- How do I respond to risks and dares?
We will also continue to have the opportunity to work with Reo, our school PE teacher, each Friday, and we will continue to understand our Rights through everything we do. Special Breakfast happens each week on a Friday where we give our certificates to our Rights Respecting Superstars and find out which Duty bearers have earned an extra special mention too.
Birch Class will be reading lots of books, including our current class book:
To view any of the wonderful work that we have done in Birch Class, please refer to your child’s Class Dojo Class Story and Portfolio where you will find news, pictures and information about what they have achieved.
If at any point, our bubble pops, then you will have already received a copy of your child’s pupil login details in the post and on Class Dojo, but please do let us know if you would like these to be resent to you. Below is a reminder of some of the websites available:
Active Learn- http://www.activelearnprimary.co.uk
My Maths- http://www.mymaths.co.uk
Purple Mash- http://www.purplemash.com/sch/bridgeleapupilre
Teacher: Kayleigh Gallagher
Teaching Assistants: James Crabbe and Lindsey Smith
Retreat and PPA cover Teaching assistant: L Rierra