BIRCH (2KG) 2021 - 2022
Welcome to Birch class!
On this page, you will find information about our current Curriculum Vehicle and learning that we are doing this half term.
This half term our Curriculum Vehicle is:
English – we will be writing to entertain, including writing labels and captions, description, and retelling a story.
Science – Everyday Materials. We will learn to:
- distinguish between an object and the material from which it is made
- identify and name a variety of everyday materials, including wood, plastic, glass, metal, water and rock
- describe the simple physical properties of a variety of everyday materials
- compare and group together a variety of everyday materials on the basis of their simple physical properties.
Design & Technology – Textiles: Puppets
We will explore different ways of joining fabrics before creating our own hand puppets. Throughout, we will work to develop our technical skills of cutting, glueing, stapling and pinning.
In Art, we will work with our school artist, Jo, and in class we will be focussing on our painting skills.
In Computing, we will be learning about coding and programming using Purple Mash.
In History, we will learn about changes within living memory. The children will:
- Know that the toys their grandparents played with were different to their own (Y1)
- Organise a number of artefacts by age (Y1)
- Know what a number of older objects were used for(Y1)
- Know the main differences between their school days and that of their grandparents(Y1)
In Maths, we will focus on number and place value, and addition and subtraction.
On our RE drop down afternoons, we will learn about:
- Who is a Muslim and what do they believe?
- What can we learn from sacred books?
- What makes some places sacred?
In Geography we will be improving our Location Knowledge. We will:
- Know the names of the four countries that make up the UK and name the three main seas that surround the UK (Y1)
- Know the names of and locate the seven continents of the world (Y2)
- Know the names of and locate the five oceans of the world (Y2)
- Know the name of and locate the four capital cities of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland (Y2)
In RSHE, we will learn about Being Me. We will focus on the following questions:
- What are our class rules?
- What are my rights as a child in school?
- What is a community?
- Can I recognise what a good choice is in my school and the impact of negative choices?
- How do I keep safe in school and outside? (fire, road, water, medicines)
We will also continue to have the opportunity to work with Reo, our school PE teacher, each Friday, and we will continue to understand our Rights through everything we do. Special Breakfast happens each week on a Friday where we give our certificates to our Rights Respecting Superstars and find out which Duty bearers have earned an extra special mention too.
Birch Class will be reading lots of books, including our current class book:
To view any of the wonderful work that we have done in Birch Class, please refer to your child’s Class Dojo Class Story and Portfolio where you will find news, pictures and information about what they have achieved.
If at any point, our bubble pops, then you will have already received a copy of your child’s pupil login details in the post and on Class Dojo, but please do let us know if you would like these to be resent to you. Below is a reminder of some of the websites available:
Active Learn- http://www.activelearnprimary.co.uk
My Maths- http://www.mymaths.co.uk
Purple Mash- http://www.purplemash.com/sch/bridgeleapupilre
Numbots - https://play.numbots.com/#/account/school-login/70735
Teacher: Kayleigh Gallagher
Teaching Assistants: Emma Mynes and Lindsey Smith
Retreat: Jenni Hannan
PPA cover Teaching assistant: Jackee Anderson